Free Weather Vane and Anemometer Craft
Wind Vane Materials:
• Large Triangle - Printed on white photocopy paper then glued by students onto colored craft paper.
• Chopstick - You could use a pencil that has an eraser on one end, but chopsticks are much cheaper and the child can take it home.
• Pin - Teacher to assemble this part.
Straw - But the sort that does'nt have a bendy part. I had to cut them down, which is why mine look a little short.
• The Anemometer
• 2 Plastic Cups. Look for water cool cups as these are tapered (to stop people putting the cup on a desk when full of liquid)
• Straw and pin as per the Wind Vane.
• Lots of tape.
Again I explained how it works, but blowing hard on it and having it swing around and tap you on the nose seemed to be the best part.
By the time we finished these the strong wind in the morning began to look like typhoon, so decided it was too dangerous to try these outside.
If you are integrating this craft into a weather unit then you may find useful our Weather Flash Cards.